Creating a prayer shawl is a beautiful way to share your love with someone else, even when you can’t be with them. Wether you are making the shawl for a troubling time or a time to celebrate, it gives comfort, expresses care, and provides a tangible hug to the recipient. Here are 10 FREE Crochet Prayer Shawl Patterns that you can make and share with those that need it.
*THIS POST CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS. BY CLICKING ONE OF THESE LINKS AND MAKING A PURCHASE A SMALL PORTION COMES BACK TO THE BLOG. THE PRICE YOU PAY WILL NOT CHANGE. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT OF THE BLOG.*
What is a Prayer Shawl?
Prayer shawl, peace shawl, comfort shawl. Although there are many names for this item, the meaning is all the same. At its root, crochet prayers shawls are wearable hugs. They provide a cozy wrap that you make with pure intention and share with someone you’ve had in mind as you crafted the piece.
Typically a prayer shawl is made for someone that is going through a tough time. However, sometimes people crochet prayer shawls to recognize a really happy time such as a birth or wedding. We make prayer shawls for people we know and love to show that we are thinking about them and supporting them through whatever they are dealing with. And in some cases, prayer shawls are charity crochet items gifted to those we don’t know but whose plight about which we are concerned.
How to Crochet a Prayer Shawl
You can use any crochet shawl pattern to make a prayer shawl. It’s not a specific design, although it works best with meditative, repetitive stitch patterns that allow you to get into the flow of crafting. We’ve provided ten free crochet prayer shawl patterns below to get you started.
What makes it a prayer shawl, though, is really your intention as you craft. While you are working on your shawl, or wrap, you will think about the person that it is going to. Maybe you say a prayer. But you don’t have to be religious to crochet prayer shawls. You can also repeat a meaningful song lyric, rehearse a mantra in your mind, or simply put loving words and feelings into each stitch. The idea is that you energetically infuse the piece with that intention and the wearer can feel it upon receiving the gift.
Put as much love and care as possible into each stitch. Then wrap the shawl up nicely to present it to the recipient. You might also want to include a little card that shares the prayer, mantra, or song lyrics that you thought of while making the prayer shawl.
Benefits of Prayer Shawls
Making a prayer shawl is beneficial for both the maker and the recipient.
The recipient, of course, feels the love of the gift. They know that you took some time out to make something unique just for them. If you present it to them with the sentiment, they’ll understand that this is a wearable hug that you’ve put all of your love into. That is healing, whether the maker and recipient are best friends or strangers.
But it’s also beneficial for the maker. Here are some of the reasons why:
- In the face of challenging times, we often don’t know how to help those that we love. Crochet prayer shawls can help ease that feeling of helplessness.
- As we repeat the mantra or prayer that we’re sharing with others, we feel it ourselves. It’s a good reminder of the things that matter to us.
- Crochet is a healing craft. It is soothing, meditative, and helps combat a variety of mental and physical health conditions.
- Intentional crochet gives you purpose, focus, and a sense that what you are doing is truly meaningful.
10 FREE Crochet Prayer Shawl Patterns
- Spring Shells Shawl by Jessie at Home
- Honeycomb Shawl by Ashley Leither
- Primrose and Proper Easy Triangle Shawl by Kirsten Holloway Designs
- Rivers Shawl by Rich Textures Crochet
- Misty River Shawl by Same Di Namics
- Marciana Lace Prayer Shawl by The Underground Crafter
- Reversible C2C Prayer Rap Cardigan by Loopingly Made
- Blessings Ombre Shawl by Posh Pooch Designs
- Venus Shell Easy Crochet Shawl by Salty Pearl Crochet
- Gentle Solace Prayer Shawl by Oombawka Designs
You Might Also Like:
As mentioned, you can use any crochet shawl pattern tomato a prayer shawl. (Or for that matter, you could knit a prayer shawl instead.) Here are ten Marly Bird crochet shawl patterns that are also perfect for making prayer shawls:
Marly Bird FREE Crochet Shawl Patterns
- Bluebonnet Lace Shawl
- Chevron Waves Lace Wrap
- Lime Verbena Shawl
- No Stopping Me Now Shawl
- One Ball Crochet Shawl
- Rainbow Sprinkles Crescent Shawl
- Stellar Stripes Crochet Shawl
- Lucky Stripes Shawl
- Super Simple Shawl
- Throw me a Kiss Shawl