If you are like me I am always looking for ways to make practical crochet items. These are things that I can use every day. We all have a responsibility to take care of the earth that we live on and recycling is one of the easy things that we can do. Check out these great crochet market bag patterns and how they can help our earth.
*This post contains affiliate links. By clicking on one of these links and making a purchase a portion will go to the blog. The price you pay will not change and the small commission I receive helps me to keep brining you free content and giveaways on the blog. Thank you for your continued support.*
The average reusable bag has a lifespan equal to that of more than 700 disposable plastic bags. When I hear this fact I started to wonder what I could do in my piece of the world that could make a difference. Here is a collection of crochet market bags that can be used when shopping so that we cut back on our use of plastic bags.
Work up a bunch for yourself in your favorite colors and don’t forget to gift them as well. They would make a great gift sack that could be used over and over by whomever you give it to.
5 Reasons Why to use ReUseable Bags:
- A plastic bag can take from 15 to 1,000 years to break down, depending on environment
- Animals confuse floating bags and plastic particles for edible sea life such as jellyfish and plankton. Once ingested, the plastic blocks the digestive tract and the animals starve to death
- The United States uses about 100 billion plastic bags per year, with the average person using between 350 and 500
- Plastic bags are rarely recycled, because of the associated costs. It takes around $5,000 to recycle just one ton of these bags, while that amount only sells for around $30
- The petroleum used to produce 14 plastic bags can drive a car one mile
Where to Use ReUseable Bags:
- Farmers Market
- Grocery Store
10 FREE Crochet Market Bag Patterns:
- Farmers Market Hexagon bag–designed by Jessie at Home
- Perfect Day Market Tote–designed by Tamara of Moogly
- Easy Split Crochet Tote–designed by Bendy Carter –Video Tutorial by Marly Bird
- Blooming Crochet Market Bag–designed by B.Hooked Crochet
- Crochet in Public Bag–designed by Whistle and Ivy
- Market Tote Bag–designed by Yarn and Chai
- Fancy Market Bag–designed by Cre8tion Crochet
- Color Pop Tote–designed by Fiber Flux
- Crochet Market Bag–designed by B.Hooked Crochet
- Triangle Stitch Crochet Market Bag–designed by Cre8tion Crochet