The Amimono Kimono was one of my very first published crochet patterns. Inspired by a kimono, it’s a great open crochet cardi free pattern. Although you can layer it for lots of different styles, it’s a light and breezy piece that’s perfect as a summer layer. If you’re looking for something unique to make that’s not too hard but is still interesting, then check this one out.
What Is a Kimono?
A kimono is a traditional Japanese garment, although it’s inspired a lot of Western fashion over the years. The kimono is a robe-like garment with wide sleeves. The kimono is traditionally a form of outerwear. In other words, you layer the kimono over other clothing. Traditionally, you tie it with a sash.
How the Kimono Inspired This Crochet Cardi Free Pattern
Like many people, I love the shape and loose flowy style of the kimono. The basic design of the kimono inspired me to create this free crochet cardi pattern. Like the kimono, the design is to layer it over other clothes. It has wide arms that add to that feeling of flow. However, instead of a sash closure, I’ve edited it to close with a simple crochet button closure at the top. Therefore, this isn’t a kimono. However, you can see how it was inspired by that design.
Suggested Yarn for This Crochet Cardi
I originally designed this kimono-inspired crocheted cardigan for the Classic Elite Yarns newsletter. At the time, they had a cotton bamboo yarn that I recommended for the cardigan. Unfortunately that yarn has since been discontinued. You might still want to use bamboo blend yarns for this piece. They have great drape. Moreover, bamboo is a natural fiber that’s cooling for summer. For example, check out Paton’s Silk Bamboo yarn.
Additional Summer Cardigan Details
Here are some of the other things you might want to know about this crochet cardi free pattern:
- This design fits six different sizes from small – 3x.
- You’ll work with a size F/4 (3.75 mm) crochet hook. This is one of the smaller mid-sized crochet hooks. You get a fine stitch pattern as a result.
- The closure is a unique one that’s almost like a shawl pin that you create yourself. You’ll use two buttons attached with grosgrain ribbon to close the kimono-inspired design.
- This crochet pattern has written instructions, symbol charts, and schematics. You should have all of the information that you need to complete this free pattern.
- You’ll use basic crochet stitches (single and double crochet) in unique combinations to create the original texture.
- I recommend blocking this crochet cardigan in order to get the best look for it.
- You can wear this over everything from a swimsuit to a cocktail dress. It’s a versatile piece to add to your wardrobe.
Get The Crochet Cardi Free Pattern
Are you ready to add this beautiful piece to your summer wardrobe? Get the free pattern here. Or click the image below:
You Might Also Like:
Here are some other great summer crochet patterns: