It is never too early or too late to knit a piece that will become a family heirloom. The Uptown Chic Knit Christmas Stocking Pattern is sure to become just that. Whip up this free knit christmas stocking pattern in no time! Seriously, I made this in one day.
I love to knit and I love Christmas, but I don’t often to enjoy both at the same time. Therefore, I only have a few handknit and or crocheted christmas stockings here at my house.
However, the uptown chic knit christmas stocking hits all the marks for me:
- this is a quick knit Christmas stocking
- it has colorwork
- it uses a german short row heel for the stocking
- the yarn is held double so it works up quickly
- and the pattern works up in many lovely colors
I made this stocking in a day from start to finish and you can too!
*This post contains affiliate links. By clicking one of the links and making a purchase a small portion will go to support the blog. The price that you pay is not changed. Thank you for your support of the blog.*
GET THE AD-FREE PDF
As always, this stranded knit stocking pattern is free here on my website but you can purchase the ad-free pdf if you wish. I have 3 different ways for you to get the pattern.
Click Here to purchase on Ravelry || Click Here to purchase the pattern on Lovecrafts || Click Here to purchase the pattern from MarlyBird.com
UPTOWN CHIC KNIT CHRISTMAS STOCKING
Designed by Marly Bird
23” from cuff to toe; 16” circumference
15 sts = 4″ (10 cm) in stockinette stitch
Red Heart Yarn Chic Sheep by Marly Bird™ (100% washable merino wool, 186 yds / 170 m, 3.5 oz/100 g), CYCA #4 Worsted
Color A: #5622 Dragon Fruit, 2 balls
Color B: #5640 Platinum, 2 balls
Color C: #5641 Sterling, 2 balls
Color D: #5311 Lace, 2 balls
US 9 (5.5 mm) 16” (40.6 cm) circular needle and set of 4 double pointed needles, or size required for gauge
Stitch Markers, Tapestry Needle, Scissors
BO – Bind Off
CO – Cast On
GSR – German Short Row (see special stitches)
K – Knit
K2tog – Knit 2 together
P – Purl
Sl – Slip
St st – Stockinette Stitch
st(s) – stitches
GSR: these short rows are worked in such a way that you get a ‘double stitch’ in place of a traditional W&T short row.
- GSR Right side: bring the yarn to the front BETWEEN the needles, slip the stitch from the left needle to the right needle purlwise with the yarn in front pull the yarn to the back of the work OVER TOP of the right needle. This will distort the stitch making it look as if there are 2 stitches instead of 1. This is called the ‘double stitch’. With yarn in back, begin knitting.
- GSR Wrong side: Slip the stitch from the left needle to the right needle purlwise with yarn in front, pull the yarn to the back of the work OVER TOP of the right needle. This will distort the stitch, making it look as if there are 2 stitches instead of 1. This is called the ‘double stitch’. Don’t forget to bring the yarn to the front BETWEEN the needles to begin purling. [Continue to next page]
Continue in this fashion as specified in your pattern, creating your ‘double stitches’.
Round 1: *K1, p1; repeat from * end of round.
Round 2: *P1, k1; repeat from * to end of round.
Rep Rounds 1-2 for Seed Stitch pattern.
Located on last page of pattern for easy printing
- Yarn held double throughout pattern.
- Stocking knit from cuff to toe.
- When working with two or more colors on the same row use the Fair Isle technique of changing colors.
- Careful when working the stranded knitting, floats should have some give.
- If a float is over 3 or more stitches, weave or tuck the float.
- Cut yarn at color change (leave long tail to weave in) if the next time you use it is more than 2 rounds.
- On rounds 11 and 18 of the chart there are three colors worked across the row. You can work all three colors OR, use duplicate stitch to add color A to the center after the stocking is complete.
- German Short Row heel is worked to add a slight curve to the stocking.
- How to add a life line: https://youtu.be/FiqYUE_aHAw
- How to weave floats: https://youtu.be/TNVVI0iGqvs
- How to knit the Uptown Chic Knit Christmas Stocking Part 1:
- How to knit the Uptown Chic Knit Christmas Stocking Part 2:
UPTOWN CHIC CHRISTMAS STOCKING PATTERN
Note: Yarn held double throughout the pattern.
With color A, cast on 60. Place a marker and join to work in the round.
Knit 1 round
Work in seed stitch pattern (see pattern stitches) about 2.5” (6.35 cm).
Next round: Knit
Rounds 1-30: Follow the chart starting at the bottom and reading from right to left for each round.
Rounds 31-60: Follow the chart once again, starting at the bottom and reading from right to left for each round.
With Color A
Row 1 (RS): Knit 15, turn work, GSR Wrong side (see special stitches).
Row 2 (WS): Purl to marker, slip marker, purl 15, turn work, GSR Right side (see special stitches).
Row 3 (RS): Knit to stitch before previous ‘double stitch’, turn work, GSR Wrong side.
Row 4 (WS): Purl to stitch before previous ‘double stitch’, turn work GSR Right side.
Repeat rows 3 and 4 three times more.
Note: If you desire more curve to the heel of your stocking you can work two or three more repeats of rows 3 and 4.
Next row: Knit to marker.
Change to color B (this is also considered round 1 of the chart)
Round 1: Knit to the first set of ‘double stitch’, [knit the two strands of the ‘double stitch’ together as one] 5 times, knit around to next set of ‘double stitch’, [knit the two strands of the ‘double stitch’ together as one] 5 times, knit to marker.
Note: If you changed the number of GSR worked on the heel, you will have to knit the extra ‘double stitch’ you made just as you did the first 5. After this round, all the ‘double stitches’ should be finished.
Rounds 2-30: Follow the chart beginning on round 2 and reading from right to left for each round.
With color A, and change to double pointed needles when stitches no longer fit comfortably around circular needle.
Round 1: * Knit 4, k2tog; repeat from * around — 50 stitches.
Rounds 2, 4, 6, 8, 10: Knit.
Round 3: * Knit 3, k2tog; repeat from * around — 40 stitches.
Round 5: * Knit 2, k2tog; repeat from * around — 30 stitches.
Round 7: * Knit 1, k2tog; repeat from * around — 20 stitches.
Round 9: * K2tog; repeat from * around — 10 stitches.
Cut tail leaving 10” (25.4 cm).
Thread the tail onto a tapestry needle, and working into each stitch on the needle as if to knit, thread the tail through the live stitches and remove from the knitting needle.
Pull the tail snug like a drawstring.
Secure the tail to the WS of the stocking.
Weave in all loose ends.
If you are using the duplicate stitch to fill in the center of the diamonds with color A, do that now. Just as an aside, that is what I did too.
Lightly steam block the stocking.
Add a twisted loop to hang the stocking from and attach to the top of the cuff.
MORE FREE STOCKING PATTERNS
As I said, I love Christmas around here. Last year we started the first Christmas in July Mystery Stocking along event. There is a free crochet stocking and a free knit stocking for you to choose! Check it out!