Circles made into squares are a common choice for many afghans and pillows. Knit or crochet the circle in a colorful shade, then make the square part neutral so they really stand out.
To make a circle, you increase several times evenly around the piece. To make a square, you increase just at four evenly-space points. You’ll use both techniques in these patterns, and they’re a great way to get familiar with how shapes are made.
You can take what you learn making these projects and make your own projects! Take a few of the squares from a throw and combine them into a matching pillow, or make the front and back of a pillow, line it, and turn it into a bag. Your only limit is your creativity!
Circle in Square Crochet and Knit Projects
- Circles in Squares Blanket – Two colorways for circles make a modern look.
- Crochet Circles Throw – Plain squares and circle square alternate for a checkerboard look.
- Circles in Squares Throw – Large mandalas are eye-catching on a plain background.
- Circle in the Square Pillows – Lacy circles and squares make these pillows quick to crochet.
- Crochet Circle in Square Pillows – Small circles and squares make a cute pillow, and would provide a great basis for your own project.
- Circle Takes the Square Crochet Blanket – Putting the same color around each circle brings together the many colors of this blanket.
- Crochet Circles Throw – Little eyelets around the circles add a new look to this throw.
- Squared Shades Throw – A knit blanket with variegated yarn, four panels magically turn into squares from the circles they start as.
- Circles Afghan – Bright, saturated colors stand out on this grey background.