Circles made into squares are a common choice for many afghans and pillows. Knit or crochet the circle in a colorful shade, then make the square part neutral so they really stand out. These circle in square crochet and knit patterns can be used to create all kinds of different things.
To make a circle, you increase several times evenly around the piece. To make a square, you increase just at four evenly-space points. You’ll use both techniques in these patterns. Therefore, you’ll get the chance to really explore how shapes are made.
You can take what you learn making these projects and make your own projects! Take a few of the squares from a throw and combine them into a matching pillow, or make the front and back of a pillow, line it, and turn it into a bag. Your only limit is your creativity! Need some ideas: Check out our roundup of crochet and knit squares patterns.
Circle in Square Crochet and Knit Projects
Most of the circle in square projects that you’ll find patterns for are blankets. After all, it’s so easy to turn squares into blankets. Therefore, most of the patterns here are throws of different sizes and styles. You’ll also find some circle in square pillows to go with them. Make a matching set for your guest room. Or to give as gifts. They are simple to make and yet they look really special.
- Circles in Squares Blanket – Two colorways for circles make this a modern look.
- Crochet Circles Throw – Plain squares and circle square alternate for a checkerboard look.
- Circles in Squares Throw – Large mandalas are eye-catching against a plain background.
- Circle in the Square Pillows – Lacy circles and squares make these pillows quick to crochet. They complement the other projects here really well.
- Crochet Circle in Square Pillows – Small circles and squares make a cute pillow. They would provide a great basis for your own project idea as well. Get creative with these!
- Circle Takes the Square Crochet Blanket – Putting the same color around each circle brings together the many colors of this blanket.
- Crochet Circles Throw – Little eyelets around the circles add a new look to this throw. Isn’t it fun how those little details can make a big difference in design?
- Squared Shades Throw – A knit blanket with variegated yarn, four panels magically turn into squares from the circles they start as.
- Circles Afghan – Bright, saturated colors stand out on this grey background.
Also on the Blog
Here are some of the other great blanket patterns that we think you might be interested in. These aren’t circle in square blanket patterns. However, they’re great knit and crochet patterns for blankets in different sizes. Blankets are just such great projects to make at any time of year. If you run out of room for them, gift them. If you run out of people to gift them to then donate them to charity.