Chevrons are a popular graphic across many different accessories, garments, and home decor. They always come back in style. This chevron knit pattern has a timeless subtle design thanks to the all-over single color. You might think that a chevron knit hat requires advanced skills but you’ll discover that beginners can complete this design.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase from one, then I get a percentage of the sale. Your price doesn’t change. Thank you for your support.
This Is A Great Knit Hat Pattern for Beginners
Beginners who already have a small bit of knitting knowledge will enjoy working with this chevron knit hat pattern. If you’re ready to build upon your basic skills, then you can use this pattern to advance your abilities to read knit charts. Here are some of the reasons that this is a great beginner hat pattern:
- The hat itself has no shaping. Therefore, you don’t need to worry about advanced shaping skills. You do knit in rounds, instead of in rows. So, it’s slightly more advanced that your basic beginner knit square. But since it’s an easy pattern, it’s a great next step for beginners.
- The chevron stitch is just knits and purls. It’s all about where you place your knits and purls. So, you’ll learn about placing them in the way that creates that subtle chevron stitching. However, you don’t have to worry about learning any new stitches or advanced knitting techniques in order to create this design. It’s way simpler than it seems when you first look at it.
- Detailed instructions plus video tutorial. I love teaching and that’s one of the reasons that I like making video tutorials to accompany my patterns. It’s a great way for beginners to get the help that they need to work through a written pattern. You’ll find a video tutorial for this chevron knit hat on the pattern page or you can access it over on YouTube.
Pom Poms Add Whimsy to Chic Style
The chevron knit hat pattern is a chic design. Although the hat doesn’t have advanced shaping, it sits nicely on the head for a terrific sense of style. The lush color and all-over chevron design are sophisticated. But, often, when working with chevrons, you want a little bit of whimsy in your design. They can be a bold graphic on their own but when worked subtly like this, you have the opportunity to use other tools to enhance the whimsy. In this case, I’ve chosen pom poms.
Learn how to make small pom poms using the video tutorial linked to in the pattern. Put one small Pom Pom on either side of the hat. It’s a simple way to add a sense of fun to a stylish hat. At the same time, by working the pom poms in the same color as the hat, the effect isn’t excessively dramatic. It’s still stylish. Of course, you could always use different colors to create a different look. For example, if your sports team’s colors are blue and white, you could use white pom poms to top off this look.
A One Ball Knit Hat Perfect for Gfiting
The chevron knit hat pattern is designed as a one ball knit hat. I designed it using Chic Sheep yarn which will keep you warm as you wear it. However, you could use another worsted weight yarn that you have in your stash. Oftentimes we have that one special ball that we’re saving for the right project; one ball knit hat patterns like this one are the perfect use for that kind of yarn.
Since the chevron knit hat is a one-ball project that works up quickly, it’s also a great pattern to bookmark for when you need to make gifts. The chevron print makes it special and yet the project is simple enough that you can make it as fast as you need to for your gift recipient. In fact, I created this pattern as part of a 3-2-1 gift-along set. You can find the other two projects along with this one over on Yarnspirations.
Get the Chevron Knit Hat Pattern
Are you ready to start knitting this one ball beginner chevron print hat? If so, get the pattern here or click the image below. On the pattern page, you’ll find the links to video tutorials for the pom poms and the hat itself.
You Might Also Like:
If you love chevrons and you crochet then you might like these patterns:
- Long Double Crochet Chevron Stitch Pattern
- Crochet Chevron Bobble Pillow
- C2C Planned Pooling Crochet Chevron Blanket
- Free Crochet Chevron Waves Shawl Pattern
If you’re looking for more beginner knit hat patterns, then check out: