Knit And Crochet Chunky Sweaters: Fall…In Love!
There’s nothing like throwing on a snuggly bulky sweater once those temperatures head south for the winter. So we decided to round up some ‘must haves’ for you to start before you really need them. If the fall chill hasn’t quite set in yet, these cozy knit and crochet chunky sweaters and cardigans will have you begging for cooler temperatures.
I’m already begging for cooler temperatures. Honestly, if it never got above about 75, I’d be perfectly happy. Once the 90s hit, I feel like I’m melting in a puddle of sweat.
Pretty picture, huh?
We know those temps will drop when it’s time, so now’s the perfect time to line up a few bulky projects you know you’ll need.
Disclosure: This post includes affiliate links. These do not change your purchase price but help me earn commission. Thank you for your support.
Why Knit And Crochet Bulky Sweaters?
Did you know bulky and oversized sweaters are perfectly in fashion right now?
Last year saw cropped sweaters gain in popularity, but this year, the comfy, longer-line, roomier styles are growing more popular.
The oversized sweater look can be extremely comfortable and flattering if you get the sizing right.
Here’s a few more reasons to make bulky sweaters and cardis:
- They’re quick to make.
- You use larger needles and thicker yarn.
- If you’re a beginner, you can still make them.
- They look awesome.
- They’re so comfy to wear.
- They’re usually simple shapes.
- They look great with everything from minimal patterning to heavy cables.
- You can wear them instead of a jacket.
- You can curl up inside of them on the couch – no need to go out if you don’t want to.
- You can dress them up or down using accessories or not.
The best things to wear are simply what makes you feel good. And there’s nothing like a cozy, hand-knit or crochet sweater or cardi to make you feel good.
I mean, if you made it, you should wear it proudly. Don’t you agree?
Here’s how you do that…
How To Wear Knit And Crochet Chunky Sweaters
The epitome of comfort and casual is to throw on a favorite t-shirt, a well-washed pair of jeans, and a comfy, roomy sweater.
But some people shy away from the bulky yarns and oversized look since they think it’ll make them look bigger. Following these tips, you can do it right and feel comfortable and stylish in knit and crochet chunky sweaters.
Seriously, anyone can rock an oversize sweater, no matter their number.
Here’s how it’s done!
- Pair with slim-fit pants or leggings and a close-fit top to balance the look.
- Keep the shape simple with minimal patterning.
- Avoid huge collars and keep the neckline simple.
- V-necks and long shawl collars are flattering for curvy figures.
- Long necklaces, pendants, or skinny scarves left loose make a statement and help lengthen and slim the lines.
- Make sure the sweater or cardi hem doesn’t sit at your widest part.
- Use layers – a longer shirt or tunic-length tee under a cropped bulky sweater can work wonders.
- Tall boots or higher heels can also help finish the look.
And Now For The Sweater And Cardigan Patterns
Now that I’ve sung the praises of knitting and crocheting bulky and oversize sweaters and cardigans, I think it’s about time you get to check out what I’ve found for you.
There’s something here for everyone.
Make sure you check them all out so you can make your yarn shopping lists and get creating before that cold weather hits.
Here you go…
Knit Chunky Sweater Patterns
Check out this list of patterns.
They’re all knit. Most are free.
There’s A-line, boxy, cropped, and simple through more advanced options.
Knit Chunky Cardigan Patterns
Look at these awesome cardigan and jacket patterns!
Cozy, or what?!
Crochet Chunky Sweater Patterns
Chunky crochet? Yes, but they don’t look bulky, do they?
You have plenty of choices. Just think of the colorways you’d choose.
I love the one with the curved hem – it’s on my to-do list!
Crochet Chunky Cardigan Patterns
Look at all these awesome long cardis. They’re just the kind you want to curl up in!
Again, they’re made in heavier yarns, but they just don’t look heavy.
I hope you’ve found something you can’t live without – there sure is a great selection here!
If you LOVE bulky and want more, more, more, check these out…
Which are the Best Bulky And Jumbo Yarns?
Warm up with an Easy Bulky Knit Scarf.
And here’s more Oversized Knits!
I know there’s some fabulous bulky yarns here.