Quick Knitting Patterns: Afternoon Delight Hat and Cowl Set
You can end the old year, or start the new one, off with great satisfaction when you choose instant gratification knitting projects. Of course, quick knitting patterns are useful to have on hand all year long. Whether you just want to feel good because you accomplished something beautiful or you have a last-minute gift to give for a birthday or holiday, quick knitting projects do the trick. The Afternoon Delight set is perfect; both the hat and the cowl work up quickly. Together, they make an unforgettable accessories set.
Stashbusting / Scrap Yarn Projects
One of the best things about these quick knitting patterns is that they’re designed to use up scrap yarn. Therefore, you already have the yarn in your stash. Chances are that you even know exactly where you’re storing it. You can go to that closet or shelf or basket or bin and dig it out right now. Grab matching needles and you’re ready to go. You don’t have to spend time shopping or hunting for the perfect yarn because you already have it. This makes getting going on an instant gratification knitting project as easy as can be.
Finish 2 Quick Knitting Patterns In One Day
There’s a reason that this knit pattern set is called Afternoon Delight. No, it’s not because of the double entendre. It’s because you can make each of these patterns in a single afternoon. Therefore, you can quickly craft the full set in one day. Of course, if you only have a few hours, then you can choose either the cowl or the hat to make first. Make the other one the next time you need an instant gratification project. Either of these is great on its own even though they are more special as a cohesive set.
Afternoon Delight Quickie Knit Cowl and Hat Patterns
The Afternoon Delight Quickie Knit Cowl and Hat pattern set is available as two separate patterns. Both patterns are free on the website. Additionally, both are available on Ravelry for purchase if you prefer ad-free versions (or just want to support designers since that’s how we make our living!)
Get the quick knitting patterns:
Basics About These Quick Knitting Patterns
Here are a few basic things you might want to know about the Afternoon Delight Quickie Knit Cowl and Hat Patterns:
- Yarn: You’ll use seven different colors of Aran weight yarn to complete this project. Of course, you can always use fewer or more colors if you want variation in the striping compared with the original project. If you use DK or worsted weight scrap yarn, adjust your needles to fit the gauge.
- Knitting Needles: You’ll use US 9 – 5.5 mm 24″ knitting needles to complete the cowl. The hat uses both US 9 – 5.5 mm and US 7 – 4.5mm 16″ needles. Again, though, adapt that as necessary for correct gauge.
- Cast-On: You’ll cast-on 90 for the hat and 120 for the knit cowl.
- Stitch Pattern: This stitch pattern is a multiple of 10 sts and 12 rounds for both quick knitting patterns.
- Special Stitches: The knit hat pattern has more special stitches than the knit cowl pattern. In both, you’ll use slip stitch and work with yarn in front, but in the hat pattern you’ll also have the opportunity to Center Double Decrease, Knit Two Together and Slip, Slip, Knit.