Learn to Knit a Stunning Collar Shawl with Marly Bird’s Step-by-Step Video Tutorial
A knit collar shawl, which is a versatile accessory that can be worn in different ways to complement your outfits. And if you’re looking for a reliable and easy-to-follow tutorial, Marly Bird’s step-by-step video tutorial is a great place to start.
*This post contains affiliate links. By clicking on one of these links and making a purchase a portion will go to the blog. The price you pay will not change and the small commission I receive helps me to keep brining you free content and giveaways on the blog. Thank you for your continued support.*
Hello, I’m Marly, and in the video tutorial I walk you through every step of knitting a collar shawl, from casting on to binding off. I use a chunky weight yarn and large needles, which makes the project quick and satisfying.
Aside from the technical aspects of knitting, I’m sure to also shares tips and tricks to help you improve your skills and avoid common mistakes. You will find that I explain how to read your work, fix errors, and weave in ends neatly.
Plus, I always find time to encourage you to practice and have fun, remind you that every project is a learning experience.
2018 Red Heart Make a Shawl Series
In the Make a Shawl series by Red Heart they will be selecting a new pattern each month for us to make to add to our wardrobe! This month they have selected the Creative Collar Shawl. Be sure to join me each month as we work through a new shawl or poncho pattern together.
Great Bulky Yarn Choices For the Knit Shawl Collar Shawl
When it comes to knitting a shawl collar shawl, one of the most important factors to consider is the type of yarn you’ll be using. Since the shawl is intended to be chunky and cozy, you’ll want a yarn that is bulky or heavy worsted in weight, with a soft and fluffy texture. Here are some great bulky yarn choices for the knit shawl collar shawl:
- WeCrochet Brava Bulky: Versatility meets affordability; Brava is a 100% acrylic yarn that will keep up with all of life’s adventures! Gentle enough for sensitive skin, Brava is a hard-wearing yarn that works wonders for projects where durability and easy care is a must. Hypoallergenic and machine washable, there is no fiber more accessible and dependable than acrylic—perfect for children, new crocheters, and charity projects. With so much flexibility, generous yardage, and a wonderful range of bright and vibrant colors, every crafter can enjoy the endless possibilities of Brava.
- Bernat Softee Chunky: This yarn is a bulky weight yarn that is made of 100% acrylic fibers. It has a plush texture that is both soft and durable, making it a great choice for a shawl that will be worn frequently.
- Wonderfluff: Softer than a kitten, fluffier than a cloud, Wonderfluff is a technological marvel! Silky baby alpaca and fleecy merino fibers are blown into and caught in a lightweight tube of nylon mesh. The result is a yarn that’s beautifully bulky yet lightweight and warm, with surprising resiliency. Wonderfluff works with a wide range of hook sizes and with 142 yards per 50g, the generous yardage allows for large, luxurious projects that won’t break the bank.
- Malabrigo Rasta: This yarn is a bulky weight yarn that is made of 100% merino wool. It has a thick and fluffy texture that is both soft and warm. Malabrigo Rasta comes in a variety of hand-dyed colors that create beautiful variations in the finished shawl.
No matter which yarn you choose, be sure to check the recommended needle size and gauge to ensure that your shawl turns out the way you want it to. With the right yarn and some basic knitting skills, you’ll be able to create a stunning shawl collar shawl that you’ll love to wear and show off.
Knit Shawl Collar Video Tutorial Topics
This is a great beginner knitter video. For those that are brand new I walk through each step of the pattern so you can learn with me. For those of you that just need a refresher you can skip forward to the parts where you need a little reminder.
- Casting on
- How to use stitch markers
- How to knit
- Learning to purl
- How to pick up stitches
- Binding off
Creative Collar Shawl Materials:
Creative Collar Shawl Video Tutorial:
What Other Are Saying
“This tutorial on knitting a collar shawl is an excellent resource for anyone who wants to learn or improve their knitting skills. The tutorial is comprehensive, easy to follow, and engaging, and Marly Bird’s expertise and enthusiasm make it a joy to watch. By following her instructions and putting your own spin on the project, you can create a stunning collar shawl that you’ll be proud to wear or share with others.”— YouTube User