Tournament of Stitches Mystery Make-Along: Crochet Clues
Welcome everyone to our first day of the Tournament of Stitches Mystery Make-Along with Marly Bird. On this page you will find all of the crochet clues. Be sure to read through all of the details of the make-along and then find the current week’s clue. If you are following along with us each week you will have chances to win prizes from Red Heart. Don’t worry if you couldn’t make-along with us in real time, join in the fun whenever you can! Can’t wait to see the beautiful projects that you complete!
*This post contains affiliate links. By clicking on one of these links and making a purchase a portion will go to the blog. The price you pay will not change and the small commission I receive helps me to keep brining you free content and giveaways on the blog. Thank you for your continued support.*
Tournament of Stitches Mystery Make-Along:
This is the second mystery make-along that we are doing here on the Marly Bird Blog. If you missed the first one be sure to check out the Game Day Mystery Make-Along from the start of the year.
After doing our first mystery make-along we learned a LOT of things and are trying some new things this time around. One of the differences is that we are offering concentration levels this time allowing you to make a choice with how much concentration you can afford for each week. Although you start in one concentration level feel free to jump around each week. The clues are designed to mix and match each week or to stay in the concentration level for the entire make-along. Have fun!
How do I Participate in the Tournament of Stitches Mystery Make-Along:
To participate in the Tournament of Stitches Mystery Make-Along you will need to go to the Marly’s Minions Facebook GROUP and there you can RSVP for the event. By marking that you are going to be joining us you will get notifications when new clues are posted.
Make-Along Concentration Levels:
Concentration levels are based on how much concentration you need to put into the pattern as you are working it. We have broken them out as the following:
- “Social” Knitter/Crocheter–This is a knitter/crocheter who might be working on the project at a knit club, watching TV or talking with family and friends while working. These clues are made up of stitches that are easy to remember the repeat and don’t require carrying the pattern with you.
- “Netflix and Chill” Knitter/Crocheter–This is a knitter/crocheter who might be watching something more detailed that they want to pay attention to but aren’t so involved in what they are doing that they don’t want to keep track of what they are working on. These clues will have slightly more detailed stitch patterns but you would still be able to hold a conversion, with one person, or watch a light TV program.
- “Smooth Jazz” Knitter/Crocheter–This is a knitter/crocheter who can have some noise in the background but not something that they need to focus on. When you listen to music, think smooth Jazz, you can hear the music but you don’t really need to be listening to the words to know what is going on. I use smooth Jazz because some Heavy Rock might not be the best thing for your nerves! These clues will have stitch patterns that are more beefy than the first two groups of clues and will require some thinking about.
- “Be Quiet, I’m Knitting/Crocheting” Knitter/Crocheter–This is a knitter/crocheter who will need to have a quite house so that they can count and make sure that they are following the stitch pattern correctly. These clues will have more complicated stitch patterns and will need more counting as you work them. You will need the most focus for these clues.
12 dc = 4″ (10 cm)
5 rows = 2.5″ (6.35 cm)
Please make a note: I don’t say this very often but gauge isn’t terribly important for this project. HOWEVER, if you happen to get a larger gauge than is listed you might run out of yarn; or if you get a smaller gauge you might end up with a project that is just too small. Therefore, it is always best to get gauge or at least be really, really, really close 🙂
Mystery Make-Along Materials:
There is nothing worse than running out of yarn for a project, right? With that in mind, we have decided to be cautious and suggest a larger amount of yarn for this project than you might use. But, we want to make sure that no matter which clue you choose to follow you will not run out of yarn by the time you are at the end of the make-along.
On that note, we suggest the following materials:
- 20 oz of Worsted weight yarn
- For example
- Red Heart Stripes (4 balls-236 yds per ball) or,
- Red Heart Ombre (2 balls-482 yds per ball) or,
- Chic Sheep by Marly Bird (5 balls-186 yds per ball) does not have to all be the same color…could do multiple colors should you choose
- For example
- Size I or J crochet hook
- Stitch Markers (Regular & Removable)
- Yarn Needle
Weekly Shawl Clues:
Weekly Cowl Clues:
What Can I Win:
Red Heart has been so wonderful to again offer prizes throughout the event. We will have a winner each week. Winners will be selected by you posting a photo of your finished section in the correct thread by the midnight deadline each Friday.
Deadlines to enter-
Week 1 Crochet Clues: March 21, 2018 at midnight MST
Week 2 Crochet Clues: March 28, 2018 at midnight MST
Week 3 Crochet Clues: April 4, 2018 at midnight MST
Week 4 Crochet Clues: April 11, 2018 at midnight MST